Your party meets back at the Rust Dragon, where you share information and learn from Ameiko that Seoni has taken Aldern up on his invitation of a boar hunt. The two of them left on horseback, along with Aldern’s retainer and hunting dogs not long before your return. You while away a few hours in the Rusty Dragon playing cards and swapping stories with Ameiko, when Hemlock arrives, a good four hours before you were due to met him at the town hall. He explains that some new information has come to light that can’t wait. As you and the Sheriff walk briskly to the town hall he explains the reason for the haste. “Shalelu Andosana just got into town. She's not exactly a mercenary, bounty hunter, or survivalist, but sort of a mix of all three. Shalelu visits us maybe once or twice a season as she roams through the area, and the intelligence she supplies us on what’s going on in the hinterlands is invaluable. We weren’t expecting to see her for at least another month, so when she showed up this morning, we knew it meant trouble.”
When you arrive at the town hall you are escorted to a comfortable office on the second floor. Already there are two women you have not met before. Behind a desk sits a middle aged red haired woman who Hemlock introduces as the town’s mayor, Kendra Deverin. She greets you warmly, apologizes for not having been able to thank you in person yet for the help you provided during the goblin attack, and invites you all to take seats around the room.
The second woman is an attractive but ragged looking elf. She is wearing leather armor and a well worn travel cloak is slung over the back of her chair. “And this,” Hemlock says, indicating the elven woman, ”is Shalelu Andosana: Unofficial member of Sandpoint’s town guard.” Shalelu smirks at this, and Hemlock continues. “And these,” he says, introducing each of you in turn, “are Sandpoint’s newest crop of heroes. Shalelu here has been a thorn in the side of the local goblin tribes for years, and few know more about them than she does. Apparently there has been an increase in goblin raids along the Lost Coast Road, particularily in the dale between Nettlewood and Mosswood. Only yesterday, a farm south of Mosswood was burned to the ground by goblins. Thankfully, Shalelu was nearby, and while the farm couldn’t be saved, she rescued the family and drove off the goblins.”
At this point Hemlock cedes the floor to Shalelu. She looks at each of you then begins. “Belor’s told me about your work against the goblins – well done. I’ve dedicated the last few years of my life keeping them from causing too much trouble around these parts, but they’re tenacious and fecund little runts. Like weeds that bite.
“Anyway, there’s five major goblin tribes in the region, and traditionally, they’re pretty good at keeping each other in line with internal squabbles and the like. Yet from what I’ve been able to piece together, members of all five tribes were involved in the raid on Sandpoint. A fair amount of the Mosswood goblins I dealt with yesterday were already pretty beat up, and there was a lot of chatter about the ‘longshanks’ that killed so many of them. Now that I’ve met you it seems obvious from their descriptions who they were talking about. Seems like you’ve made an impression.
“In any event, the fact that the five tribes are working together disturbs me. Goblin tribes don’t work together unless they’ve got something big planned, and big plans require big bosses. I’m afraid that someone’s moved in on the goblins and organized them. And judging from these recent raids, what they’re organizing seems like bad news for all of us.”
Mayor Deverin interjects. “I’ve asked Sheriff Hemlock to take a few men to Mangnimar to see about securing some extra soldiers to station here, at least for a few weeks until we can determine the full extent of this goblin threat. Also, Shalelu has agreed to sniff around Shank’s Wood, Devil’s Platter, and other places where goblins live to see if she can discover anything else about what’s going on.”
“In the meantime,” Hemlock pipes up, “I’d ask you all to maintain a public presence here in town over the next few days. The locals seem to have taken a liking to you, and having you around will go along way to settling people’s suspiscions.”
At this point you characters can ask any questions you like from Hemlock, Deverin or Shalelu, and tell me your plans for “maintaining a public presence” in town (assuming you agree).
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Sasha flips plays with one of her coins rolling back and forth across her knuckles.
She listens to the conversations and words flow around her before snapping up her coin and speaking up.
"Are you telling us that the snots are marching here? I've seen some bizarre things but snots working together that's beyond insane? The sad thing is though I don't want to believe you I do. They took time to dig up a grave in the middle of a raid - goblins don't do things like that."
Sasha stands on her feet and pulls on her gloves as she addresses her friends.
"From where I'm standing it seems that the little ankle-biters are the ones holding all the cards and I don't think we even know what game we're being dealt into."
"If there is a big-boss out there calling the shots and all the snots are working together how is sitting on your assets behind these walls going to help?"
"The snots know what we're doing, they know they can take us and they know that we don't know anything."
"I think we should some of your people out there and start sowing a little chaos in THEIR ranks for once. Maybe we can nip this in the bud, maybe we can find out what's going or maybe just maybe we might be able to play a few cards ourselves."
"I'm opt for send a small force to see what we can find out and if nothing else slow them down so we can more time to prepare."
"Although I wouldn't put it in exactly those words, I'm inclined to agree. If the goblins attack in such numbers, even if we manage to route them, the damage and the potential loss of innocent lives would be huge," Gerund said, "But we can't rush off without knowing their numbers or plan. If there seems to be someone organizing them, then we need to go straight for the head and cut it off, and soon. Meanwhile, maintaining a presence, perhaps through regular patrols, two at a time, with a known signal to alert the others of an impending attack. Our celebrity will help identify us as protectors of the city, and the patrols may help deter hit-and-run tactics, but we must stop this mass attack before it happens."
I'd better polish my armour Gerund thought, maybe everybody's armour.
I'm tending to agree with the lot of you, gobo's working together isn't normal.
Maybe if we do some patrols with Shalelu, while some of keep a presence here at the town would be an idea.
Also has anyone thought about who could be getting the gobo's together - could it be someone in town? Just a curious note on that, maybe the sheriff has some idea.
I'm all for going with Shalelu on one of the patrols.
Yola
"I think your right Yola. I'd be glad to accompany you out of the town for a bit."
Sasha smiles demurely as she continues ...
"Perhaps the blacksmith would be best to stay here? He would be a good leaders for the people and his knowledge or tactics and sieges might come in handy."
"Or a the very least if he prays whatever Gods exist may be more inclined to listen."
"Hmph!" Poot coughs out a cloud of smoke and pouts.
"Well, I'm not thrilled with goin' off our seperate ways, specially since I worked so hard ta bring us all together..."
"But if you're bent on patrollin' I'm afraid I'm stayin' behind. Even though Sandpointers tend to be a bunch of drunken tossers, I've come to tolerate 'em. I'll be here keepin' morale high, Sheriff."
"Pssttt, Paladin. You ain't leavin are ya?"
"No, I'll stay. It seems my talents are best served here," Gerund whispered back to Poot.
"Nobody's suggesting an army of crazed goblins is marching here as we speak," Shalelu responds to Shasa. "movement like that would deplete the natural resources of an area very quickly, and I've seen no signs of that." And besides, I doubt the five tribes in the region could muster more than a hundred, hundred and fifty warriors combined. The raid on Sandpoint consisted of about thirty goblins all told from what Belor tells me, and the raiders I put down the other day were no more than a half dozen or so."
Belor speaks. "But lets put this in perspective. Sandpoint has a standing guard of twelve trained swordsmen. Twelve. We can muster another sixty or so from the local militia, but if there is a serious attack, we will not be able to repel it. That's why I'm going to Magnimar for more troops. I am not," he says icily to Sasha, "sitting on my assets."
"Besides, where would you look? There's a lot of wilderness out there and sending small groups out there to blunder around until they get lucky or killed is not the answer."
Shalelu pipes up again. "He's right. While I aplaude your eagerness to help, I can move faster and quieter alone. None of you are overly familiar with the hinterlands or the ways of the tribes. To be blunt, you'd just slow me down."
Sasha, rolls her coin back across her knuckles.
"Well if you're right and there's enough militia to go around and the reinforcements are only city's hike away then we have nothing to fear."
And if 'ears' Sasha points to their Elven guide. "Says, we'd slow her down then I believe her."
I do want to speak to father Zanthaus again. I also need to speak with Seoni when she gets back.
Yola watches as the discusson continues, leans over to Poot and whisper's - well they ya have it, no one's going nowhere.
Yola speaks up, I can understand that us being here is better to help and keep morale going and all, and the elf is right - she knows the territory better than us all.
So what shall we all do here now, keep the peace - there has to be a reason that the gobo's dug up the old father's grave, why don't we look into finding out why.
Mich
"I think its the only thing that makes sense."
I'll be glad to go again. Perhaps if we all go it we might be able to pick up something that Poot and I missed. More importantly maybe Poot and I can do some professional snooping and see if there is something more that we aren't meant to find."
Post a Comment