Playing the 3.5ed D&D adventure, "Rise of the Runelords," published by Paizo

Chp2: The Skinsaw Murders

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Logistics or: Are we Sure About This?

I've included a picture of Thistletop island and fort above, to help you better visualize the situation.

No one in the party trusts Gogmurt, so this is the plan that you have devised: Because Gogmurt told you that the bridge will collapse if too many people are on it at once, Sasha will climb down the 80 ft cliff face to the beach and begin swimming across the channel to the island, then climb up the opposite 80ft cliff to the base of the bridge. Meanwhile, Gerund, shield raised high, will slow advance across the bridge, drawing the attention of the goblin sentries to him and thus away from the swimming/climbing Sasha. Shalelu and Yola ( using Gerund's bow perhaps) will lay down covering fire from their side of the bridge, then once Sasha and Gerund have secured the other end, they and Seoni will rush across to join them.

OK, so here's some number crunching: It will take Gerund 3 rounds to walk across the bridge, only two to jog. It will take Sasha 4 rounds to climb down the cliff, 4 to swim across, then 4 more to climb back up, with a successful swim or climb check every round ( a failed check delays her 1 round). Even if she snuck down to the beach before Gerund started his heroic march, he'd be stranded on the other side for at least 5 rounds without support, and chances are that even when she arrived, Sasha would be too exhausted to be much help.

So, two proposed solutions: 1> Sasha stays with Yola and Shalelu and adds her short bow to the covering fire while Gerund boogies across the bridge, then the rest of the party crosses one at a time. 2>Goblins have better night vision than humans but they are not nocturnal. Party waits until nightfall when the sentries are less alert, then Sasha stealthily swims/climbs across and secures the bridge for the others.

Please vote which of the three plans you want to commit to. I'll update as soon as everyone has weighed in.

5 comments:

deres said...

OOC: Wow, all I can say is that originally our place looked like a good idea. But adding the picture does kinda changed things a lot. We could always wait for Poot to return as the Dread Pirate Robert's and his Armada of Ships and Scurvy Sea Dogs to assist us.

I hate to say it but I'm leaning towards option 1. They goblins may or may not be more alert in evening plus they will have the advantage of night vision. Plus I don't know how great out archers (me and the elf will be) in the dead of night.

IC: Sasha pauses of a bit and examines the bow and arrows. I hate to say it but maybe we will have to take the direct approach. Sasha looks at Gerund and then looks at the Snot. "If the bridge only allows one person across at a time is that one goblin-sized person or one human sized person?"

Anonymous said...

OOC: I vote for option 1 as well due to the seeing in the dark idea. Maybe right at sunrise when the gobo's may not be too awake.

Mich

Greg Stewart said...

"oh no," Gogmurt answers, " Bridge hold 7 maybe 8 goblins before falling."

deres said...

Sasha rolls her eyes. "Great, maybe Gerund should go last and we should run in order of lightest to heaviest in case the bridge decides to cave under the weight of his armor."

Sasha listens to Yola's wisdom. " I think the first plan makes more sense. I don't know how we are going to pull it off but if it's a case of hedging our bets then I'm all for it. Sometimes I can't tell if I'm reading my cards right but I feel better someone is seeing things a similar way."

Scanning the horizon she adds to Yola, "So once we make it over there I imagine we aren't going to be too popular. What then?"

Seoni said...

How about Option 1A? We add a diversion that draws attention away from the bridge, then Gerund races across with cover fire from Shalelu and Sasha and Seoni, then we join him as quickly and safely as possible, one or two of us at a time.

Diversion-wise, I've got a couple of ideas. Depending on how long this bridge is, Shalelu could simply (!) shoot a burning arrow at a hut on the other side. Alternatively, I could use a spell (Mage Hand) to drop a torch on something on the other side. I thought I could also Alarm the torch to make it really interesting for them.