Playing the 3.5ed D&D adventure, "Rise of the Runelords," published by Paizo

Chp2: The Skinsaw Murders

Sunday, April 5, 2009

So, Do We Have a Plan?

Seoni replies to Gogmurt, "I think we can all agree that these 'longshanks' that are causing trouble should be dealt with. But how, now that you've raised the alarm against us; we're going to be overrun."

Gogmurt tries to shrug his shoulders against his bonds. "Errm, good question." Gogmurt looks around sheepishly. "I gots nothing."

"Of course he doesn't!" exclaims Sasha, kicking at a clot of dirt in frustration, while Seoni steeples her fingers, thinking hard.

"Okay, I've got an idea. Gogmurt hides us inside the maze walls. We sneak into the goblin village and deal with the bad guys while the goblins are in the maze looking for us. Then, Gogmurt shows us the secret, safe way back that isn't the maze. What do you guys think? Suicide, right?"

"Right," says Yola. "Or we could just charge the main gate, before they storm this maze. This gobbo here can help - unless he wants to be fish food again."

"Eep!" squeaks Gogmurt. "Uh you big heroes gots great plans there but, well, I can't hide yous in the maze. I can walk through them thorns, but I can'ts take others with me. And the bridge to the fort is trapped. It break apart if too many try to cross at once."

Sasha snarls and snaps at her friends, "Am I the only one forgetting that Poot's gone. We're going to trust this snot just because he's feeding us some story? If it wasn't for him we would still have Poot and one more person to watch our back. What's to stop him from turning the maze against us or alerting his friends? If he is finding so easy to turn against them now what's stopping him from doing it to us?" She turns on the goblin and draws her whip, "I say we lash the skin from his bones until he tells us what's really going on."

Yola responds to Sasha's tirade with icy calmness. "I'm not forgetting that Poot is gone, and I'm just as upset as you are Sasha, but if we leave the maze now and kill this gobbo," pointing with her sword to Gogmurt," then Sandpoint will still be under threat. You can still whip the skin off of him for all that I care, but we have decide what to do, either pull an attack on the goblin lair right now or go back to Sandpoint and sing Poot's praises with song and ale."

Gogmurt spits at Sasha and for a moment the brave and viscious druid that attacked your party single-handedly replaces the snivelling prisoner. "I nots turning on tribe mates Longshanks!" he screams at Sasha. "Longshanks woman gots chief wrapped around pinky. You promise to kill her and her friends, and NOT kill any more goblins, I get you across bridge into fort."

Most of this post is an edit of the last comments to create a more cohesive dialog so everybody is clear on the situation. Gogmurt reveals some new info at the end and presents his ultimatum. The map included shows the fort and the bridge leading to it, plus the two open top guard towers and the guards you saw there earlier. Gogmurt does have a plan for getting you to the fort, but he won't share it until you agree to his terms. And be warned, goblins plans rarely work as advertised, so you may be better to come up with your own course of action anyway. Next post on Wed. (If no plan is agreed on by then, we'll be going with Gogmurt's mystery plan).

4 comments:

deres said...

OOC: Sasha was born and raised near the water with a father who was a Ship's Botswain. she should be able to swim the length of the bridge to island. Is this feasible at all?

Greg Stewart said...

@ Brett: Yes its only about 100feet across. You would be exposed to the sentries though ( 100 feet +80 ft down still puts you in long range for a bow shot)

Anonymous said...

What if someone, like me, were to create an obvious distraction, like walking across the bridge in plain view, while Sasha swims across?

Anonymous said...

Yola losing her temper with Gogmurt - Listen to me you little snot of a gobo, you will help us and you'll be glad of it, and if one of your stinking brethen happen to get stuck with some arrows all the better for us, of we could just kill you right now, hmm what do you say? Would you rather live and help us or die. Either way your all mighty chief is in some big trouble - so don't be mouthing off to the ones who are trying to help you - Yola steps back and mutters under her breath - you had better still be alive halfling or all the gobos will pay.

You can and will lead us through this Maze to the bridge, and you will help us - understand!